Saturday, January 7, 2017

Snowy Nummies: Tomato Soup & Pizza Burgers

I live in Memphis where it snows like 1-2 times a year (2+ if we're really lucky). Usually we just get a dusting and we freak. out. Kids are out sledding in basically cold, wet grass and having the best time of their lives. the grocery stores have NO bread or milk (side note: WHY are those the 2 things we don't think we can live without? I could totally live a few days without those things. Now bacon and chocolate on the other hand...). I love how crazy MEM gets in the snow. It's the little things. 

How Memphis sees it:

How the north sees it:

What actually happened:

Occasionally, though, we'll get a really good one. Like an actual good one that we can all agree on. This year on January 6 (mind you it was kinda warm on Christmas less than 2 weeks ago) we got a pretty good snow! It wasn't our best by any means but it was still so beautiful. Usually our snow doesn't come until late February or March so this was a real treat so early in the year. 

I love waking up to a winter wonderland. Presley and I got up around 8:30 (Matt was already at work) and it was still snowing. The peaceful stillness a snowfall brings literally brings tears to my eyes. Just watching it come down. There's nothing like it. Especially in my own neighborhood. Seeing it covered in a fresh layer of white makes you see it from a whole new perspective. It turns something seemingly mundane into a beautiful work of art. Thank you, Jesus, for these special days. 


I thought Pres would be hesitant to go out in it but she just went for it. I had her all bundled up in her cat hat, gloves and rainboots (these are a few of her favorite things) so she was on cloud 9. While I was reveling in its beauty, however, she was calling it "poop" and freaking out when it got on her boots. Not crying but stopping, pointing and yelling "POOOOOOP POOOOOOOP." You know. Naturally. 

(Fun story: A few days ago she handed me something saying "poop." I took it without looking because she calls everything poop. I look down. An actual dog turd was staring back at me courtesy of our dear furry friend "ALF." #ThanksGirl). 

Our houses look nice dressed pretty in white.




On snow days I always feel the need to be extra cozy. Hot chocolate, warm food that melts my soul, heated blankets and lots of Disney movies (which always has to include Frozen because DUH). I made Pres a sippy cup of "warm" chocolate and she downed it. I'm talking DOWNED. Then promptly followed with "more more." My girl. 


I wanted to share a few recipes that I love on frosty days. I didn't make these this time because this snow caught me off guard and I wasn't about to head to the grocery store (because, you know, it's Memphis in the snow). 


This soup is so cheap, easy and yummy. It's my go to for any fall/winter evening. I love to pair it with grilled cheeses. I like to make them with a nice, thick bread and cheese from the deli to make them EXTRA fancy and delicious. 

INGREDIENTS
28 ounce can Crushed Tomatoes
4 cup Chicken Broth
1 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Basil
1 cup Heavy Cream
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Pepper
2 tbsp Butter

DIRECTIONS
Add tomatoes, chicken broth, oregano and basil to crock pot. Stir well.
Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 8 hours.
Strain soup and puree chunks in blender (I use my immersion blender directly in the crock pot); return puree to slow cooker.
Add cream and butter and stir well.



Another recipe that's good all year long that I recently found on the internet is PIZZA BURGERS! Yes it's as good as it sounds. Perfect for a frosty evening or even a summer meal around the pool. This recipe comes with a video demonstration as well which I think is obvs exta cool (click link above where it says "pizza burgers"). Believe me, I'm not the greatest of cooks and if I can make these anyone can.


INGREDIENTS
1 lb. ground beef
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/4 c. chopped parsley
kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
4 slices mozzarella
8 pepperoni slices
2 c. jarred marinara
4 Italian rolls (or hamburger buns)
2 tbsp. melted butter
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/4 c. grated Parmesan

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a medium bowl, combine ground beef, garlic and parsley. Mix with spatula until just combined. 
Using your hands, form 4 equally-sized patties. Season both sides with salt and pepper to taste
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the burgers and cook for 4 to 5 minutes (for medium). Flip the patties, then immediately pour marinara around them in the pan. Simmer for another minute, then top each with cheese and 2 slices of pepperoni. Cover pan and cook until the cheese melts and the burger is cooked to your liking, about 3 minutes more.
Meanwhile, make garlic buns. Brush melted butter on each half of the rolls. Sprinkle both sides with garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and parmesan. Bake until golden, about 10 minutes.
Spread a dollop of marinara on each bottom bun followed by cooked burgers and the top bun halves.


So there you go! We've made the tomato soup probably 10 times. I've been meaning to share this finding with the world (or whoever actually reads these posts) for a while but haven't gotten around to it. But the snow has inspired me and here I am...finally getting around to it. ENJOY!! And may the good Lord bless you with many magical snow days this year. Happy 2017!


No comments:

Post a Comment