Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Give Thanks - Sweet Potato Cupcakes

Hello, again!! I hope everyone had a wonderful, beautiful, sweet Thanksgiving holiday. My husband and I had a wonderful weekend spending time with both of our sweet families. I have so much to be thankful for!

I spent a little while trying to figure out which delicious goodie I should make this Thanksgiving. After much deliberation I decided to make sweet potato cupcakes with marshmallow frosting. I've had them before but I can't remember where. I remember thinking that they sounded so weird, but, of course, it was love at first bite (like most things I consume). I found a recipe on Pinterest and couldn't wait to try it out! They were SO yummy.

Here's the link to the recipe:
http://foodgawker.com/post/2009/11/20/43804/

Some notes:

  • I baked 3 sweet potatoes in the oven on 400 the night before, took off the skin, then threw them in my Kitchen Aid mixer to mash them up. I then kept them in a tupperware container in the fridge over night so they'd be ready to go the next day. Definitely worth it not having to do that the day I made them. 
  • I didn't toast the marshmallow frosting like it said to. Like many people, I don't have a torch laying around my kitchen.
  • I think I mixed the marshmallow frosting too long. I would NOT peak like it was supposed to. I mixed it for over 20 minutes, watching it the whole time. It peaked a little bit, but not like it was supposed to. I eventually got way too bored staring at it in the mixer and went ahead and piped it onto my cupcakes with an icing bag. It all shlunked (in honor of The Grinch) down into the cupcake cup and didn't hold its shape though. It made me glad that I didn't fill the cupcake cups entirely up with batter. All of the icing would've fallen off without the rim of the cup and made a HUGE mess.
  • The marshmallow frosting tastes a LOT like 7 Minute frosting. Just as messy to make, unfortunately. MMMMMMMM
  • It made 24 cupcakes and 6 mini cupcakes (for me...you know...to sample and make sure they were alright)
  • After I iced them, I sprinkled some light brown sugar onto them and added a fondant leaf/acorn. I made those with fondant (Mary Carter/Hobby Lobby/Michaels), color gel (same places), and cookie cutters.

And here are some pics!













They're not the prettiest creations I've ever made but they're definitely delicious. Perfect for fall or the holidays!! Sweet potato cupcakes were definitely something I was thankful for this year :)

And here's another goodie I made the same day for a sweet family. They were celebrating multiple birthdays on Thanksgiving day.


Visit my cake website if you get the chance!
www.katiecupcakes.weebly.com

And here are a few pics from our Thanksgiving: Hedgepeth/Cave style (with a little Gangnam Style thrown in)









Happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment