Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Yarn-Covered Initial & Military Crafts

For my aunt's birthday I wanted to make her something special and personal. I was thinking about her interests and I came up with an idea! She loves to crochet so I decided to wrap her initial in yarn. Her name is Rebecca but for as long as I can remember I've called her "Beautiful Buck"...also her last name starts with a "B". I found the wooden letter at Michaels for $2.99 and I got the yarn there as well. I got the burlap to make the rosette at Hobby Lobby in the fabric section and I already had the pearl embellishment. You can get these in the beading section at either of those stores. You will also need a glue gun. This was very time consuming...I think I wrapped the letter in yarn for 3 straight hours. The curves can get a little tricky. The whole time I was secretly wishing her last name started with an "I". Heh. I love the way it turned out. It's pretty self-explanatory but here are some pics:






Here's a good tutorial on how to make the rolled burlap flower:


I just hot glued the pearl in the middle and voila!!

Next, my father-in-law came to me about a month ago and said he had a craft for me to do. Of course I was excited!! He had a lot of war medals and a Purple Heart (pretty cool) that were his great grandfather's and he wanted them framed. I got a shadow box from Michaels (it was originally like $30 but I used coupons and got it down to $18). It already had a gray background. I matted the picture of his grandfather with black and white scrapbook paper and attached it with pearl-ended pins at each corner. I also matted the Purple Heart with purple and white scrapbook paper. I did some measuring to space the medals perfectly. I attached them by hot gluing the pin-part at the top of the medal to the base then using a glue dot to secure the metal part to the base. It stayed very well. It was too much trouble to actually attach them with the actual pins so that's why I used glue. So glad he loved it!



Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment