Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Glass Trays, Old Windows, Glass Cabinets, Button Initials, Organized Scarfs & Ribbon, &Cute Wreaths

This post is a large conglomeration of just what I've been doing lately....a little bit of organizing, decorating, redecorating, crafting...you know...the usual.

First, this actually belongs in my last post about Christmas gifts, but I forgot...so here it is!

When my parents got married they got this glass tray. It's been sitting in their dining room against the wall since they moved in (about 5 years ago) and I decided to steal it a while ago...well, with my momma's permission, of course. I re-created it then gave it to her for Christmas...call me an Indian-giver it you want but she loved it.




 I found this little frame at Michaels in the jewelry section


 I printed off this little picture of us on Microsoft Word and cut it out and Mod Podged it onto the frame...I also cut off that little circle thing on the far left that would be used to hang the frame on a necklace or something.


 I had this "C" hanging on my wall and I flipped it and traced it on some scrapbook paper and cut it out.


This is before I Mod Podged it and made it look a little more antique. I Mod Podged this paper contraption to the bottom of the glass so it showed through the glass. I then got brown and gold acrylic paint and painted it to my liking. When I was finished I covered the front and back in more Mod Podge and sanded it to make it look a little more rustic.


I glued the little frame to the front of the glass with a hot glue gun. I forgot to get a final picture because I put a little burlap scrap and used a staple gun to attach it to the top back of the frame so it can hang on the wall.


This next thing I actually did in October. I got this old window at Sheffield's Antique Mall in Collierville. I put a little brown paint on the frame to make it more rustic-looking and hung it above my kitchen table. I just love it!



The next thing I did was cover up the glass on our entertainment center in the living room. I was getting kinda sick of looking at the cable box and dvd player through the glass...so I took it upon myself to do something about it. My solution? SCRAPBOOK PAPER!! You can use it anywhere, I'm convinced. I got this blue and cream-colored paper at Michaels and measured it, cut it, and taped it inside the glass door so it shows through. When I get sick of it, all I have to do is rip it out! I like it so much more than before.






Next I made this button initial frame thing. I got the frame and burlap at Hobby Lobby. The buttons I got from my grandmother a few Christmases ago (I love buttons).  Here are some pictures!


I used Word Art on Microsoft Word and chose a font. I then made it bigger, printed it, then cut it out.


 I cut some burlap to fit in the frame and traced the "h" onto the burlap with a black Sharpie.

 
If you look closely you can see the mark.


I used white buttons to cover up all of the black outline to make the shape of an "h".



After I got it how I wanted, I hot glued each button to the burlap.


 Lastly, I painted the frame with brown, tan, red, apple green, and yellow acrylic paint. Once I got it how I wanted it, I covered it in Mod Podge, of course.


I had to take the glass out because the buttons made it too tall to fit in the glass. Once I was finished I hung it in my dining room! I had the perfect place for it.

Since I was on a burlap kick, I decided to re-mat one of our wedding photos that was also hanging in our dining room. I got some white burlap and green scrapbook paper, cut it, then used glue dots to keep everything in place.


 Here's a "before" picture of the mat (as it was decorated for Christmas




Next, here is how I organize my ribbon. I actually did this in the summer. It was so easy!! I got 2 dowels from Hobby Lobby that were like 50 cents a piece. I got my craft shelves and drilled 2 holes where I wanted to put the dowels and voila!! All you need is a drill (and, in my case, a husband who knows how to work it).




Next, I organized my scarves! My mother-in-law saw this on Pinterest and got me the supplies this weekend. She got the shower rings at the Dollar Tree...yes...this project costs $1. Well...I got 3 packages so it cost $3...but stil. So cheap!! Just put the curtain rings on a hanger and thread your scarves through and you're done! I made 2 because I love scarves and have a lot of them.






Lastly, yes we have come to an end, I made this front door decor. It couldnt've have been easier and it was also really cheap! I got the vine wreath at Michaels for $2.75 (it's originally $5 but I had a coupon that you can always find on their website or their awesome Iphone app), the letter was $3 from Michaels and I had everything else...so this cost me less than $6


I painted this wooden "H" green then added white polka dots. When it was dry, I sanded it down a little.


I glued the "H" to the wreath with a hot glue gun then tied some cream-colored organza ribbon in a bow and hung it on my door. This project was so cheap and so easy and I think it turned out really cute!


That concludes my conglomeration of things. Sorry it was a little longer than normal. Happy crafting/organizing/decorating!


No comments:

Post a Comment